Using a pattern from "Built By Wendy Dresses" by Wendy Mullin, I made myself a super simple shift dress today. I highly recommend this book for anyone interested in making your own clothes. You need to have a little bit of sewing experience (she pretty much just dives into construction), but she does offer lots of help to refresh your memory on certain steps in case you're a little rusty like myself.
I'm still not sure if I want to take it a little more around the bust and waist...or maybe I'll just leave it looser and make my next dress more fitted. What do you think?
There's very little twirl capability but it's alright for jumping.
Like the skirt I made yesterday this one is also made from an old sheet that I dyed. The colour looks great in the photo below but it's actually not the most even...I've learned my lesson on how much fabric I can handle in the pot at one time.
I think I'm going to unofficially challenge myself to only make clothes with old fabric I find at thrift stores from now on. I guess I've already been doing this for the last 6 months worth of sewing projects, but now I'm going to make an effort to not buy new fabric. So far every sewn item on this blog has been made using old sheets. I've made a quilt, potholders, oven mitts, pillows, pillow cases and covers, a robe, a knitting needle case, cushions, a duvet cover, a wall organizer, a yoga mat bag, heating bags, a skirt, and now a dress!