Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Rosemary Raisin Pecan Crisps


This lovely recipe was given to me by my dear friend Becky (who received it from an elderly neighbour). It was handwritten, sent through the mail, and has found a home stuck to my fridge door waiting for the special day when all of the ingredients are actually present in my pantry. And today was finally that day.




I've been helping out with the ol' family business lately, which has left me a bit more tired, drained, (and wishing for more hours in the day) than usual. Yesterday after work I just needed to do something for me. Something to feed both stomach and soul. And that's when I laid my eyes on this recipe, that's been patiently waiting for me for weeks.


Rosemary Raisin Pecan Crisps


Yield: about 8 dozen small crackers (I probably got about 3 dozen long narrow crackers that also probably could have been thinner)


2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 tsp sea salt
2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup roasted pumpkin seeds (I used sunflower instead)
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup ground flaxseed (or unground if you're lazy like me)
1-2 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary




Preheat oven to 375 degrees.


In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda and salt.
Add the buttermilk, brown sugar, and honey and stir well.
Add remaining ingredients and stir until just blended. Pour into mini-loaf pans or two 4"X 8" pans (I used a round spring form pan) that have been greased well. Bake for about 45 minutes or until golden and springy to touch. Test doneness with a knife, making sure it comes out clean. Remove and cool on wire rack.


The cooler the bread, the easier it is to cut thin (and therefore the crispier the crackers will be), so feel free to pop it into the freezer or fridge if you're in a hurry. Slice the loaf as thin as you can and place the slices in a single layer on an ungreased baking sheet.* 






Bake the slices at 300 degrees for 15 minutes, then flip them over and bake for another 10 minutes, until crisp and deep golden in colour


These are wonderful on their own, but really delicious pared with cheese.




*I let my loaf cool at room temperature, and still found it wasn't terribly easy to slice as thin as I would have liked. Next time I'll definitely put it in the freezer to help firm it up a bit.Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails