Thursday, October 7, 2010

Cinnamon Raisin Bread




Don't ask me why, but I just needed to make this bread this morning.





This recipe comes from allrecipes.com, and my version contains a few minor adjustments:


Yield: 3 loaves (perfect for surprising your friends with a treat!)


1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup warm water
1 tablespoon yeast
3 eggs
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup raisins
8 cups flour
2 tablespoons milk
3/4 cup sugar*
2 tablespoons cinnamon*
2 tablespoons butter (I used olive oil)




Dissolve the yeast in the warm water and set aside till frothy. Mix in eggs, sugar, salt, butter, and milk. Add the flour gradually and mix until dough forms.
Knead dough on a lightly floured surface a few times, then place in an oiled bowl (turning the dough a few times to cover in oil). Let rest until doubled in size (about an hour).


Mix cinnamon and sugar until well combined (*I ended up only using about 1/2 to a 2/3 of this mixture, I think next time I'll use maybe only 1/2 cup of sugar). Roll out on a floured surface, into a rectangle about 1/2 inch thick. Drizzle milk over dough, and then cover with sugar, cinnamon and raisins. Roll up dough tightly, and cut into thirds. Tuck the ends of each piece under itself, and lightly grease the tops of the loaves. (I cut a slit down the centre of my loaves, but you don't have to) Let rise for another 30-60 minutes, and during this time begin preheating oven to 350 degrees.


Bake for 45 minutes, until loaves are golden and sound hollow when knocked on the bottom. Let cool, and then wrap in paper and deliver to your friends.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails