Monday, October 24, 2011

Cabbage and Beans


Sounds boring doesn't it?
But I promise you this modest combination of wilted cabbage, browned potatoes and beans is far superior than the sum of it's parts. As I dove in for my first bite I was surprised (maybe even shocked) by how tasty it was. I think this is easily going to become my new favourite healthy cold weather dish.

And if that's not enough to convince you to make this right away let me tell you about how I added the leftovers to some homemade turkey soup stock for the simplest and quickest, yet hearty and filling brothy soup.
I might even just have to make it again tomorrow morning for breakfast with a poached egg on top.
Adapted from "Super Natural Everyday" by Heidi Swanson

Swanson suggest this serves 4, however I halved this recipe and easily ate the whole thing myself for lunch.

olive oil
4 oz of potatoes (probably around 2 small potatoes), cut into tiny cubes
salt and pepper
1 large shallot, thinly sliced
2 cups cooked white beans (I used chickpeas)
3 cups finely shredded cabbage
juice of 1/2 lemon
parmesan cheese for garnish

Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat and cook potatoes, covered until soft and beginning to brown. Add salt, pepper, shallots and beans and cook for a few minutes until they well browned and becoming crispy. Stir in the cabbage and cook for another minute or so until the cabbage is a bit wilted. Finely grate parmesan cheese over dish and serve.Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails