Sunday, October 30, 2011

Black Bean Pumpkin Soup


Do you ever have those days when you wake up and it's pouring and you say to yourself "I'm not going to leave the house today."? Well I'm having one of those days and it's great!
I love that rainy days make me feel less guilty for being a hermit. It feels a bit more socially acceptable to keep my pajamas on while I bake bread, make soup and quilt, when it's pouring outside.
I predict that the rest of the day will include pots of tea,  crib games, and knitting. Is it really any wonder why I love rainy days?



Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

olive oil
2 onions
3 cloves garlic
1 shallot
1 jalepeno pepper
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons chipotle powder
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon salt*
4 cups cooked black beans
1 can tomatoes
2 cups cooked pumpkin
6 cups stock
5 strips of bacon, cooked and chopped
3-4 tablespoons red wine vinegar

Coarsely puree the beans and the tomatoes together leaving some chunks of bean intact.
In a large pot over medium heat, cook onions, garlic and shallot in oil until onions are beginning to become translucent. Add spices, salt and jalepeno and cook for another few minutes. Add pureed beans, pumpkin and stock. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer
Before serving add bacon and vinegar and stir well to combine.

*I used homemade stock that didn't have any salt added to it so I probably added about 1 tablespoon or more of salt.Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails