Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Linguine with Blue Cheese, Beet Greens, and Hazelnuts


I love when I go searching for new recipes to use up a particular ingredient and I find one that features other things I already have on hand, and it turns out to be my new favourite dish. The flavours are simple  but bold in their own ways and the hazelnuts really pull it all together. Yum!


Adapted from Martha Stewart

Serves 2 as a meal (or 4 as a starter or side)

3/4 pound linguine
1 tablespoon olive oil (plus more for drizzling)
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 pound beet greens, rinsed, dried and coarsely chopped
1/3 cup toasted hazelnuts, chopped
2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta to just el dente (really try not to let it overcook as it will cook a bit more later). Reserve a cup of pasta water then drain and set pasta aside. 
Meanwhile heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and let cook until it just becomes fragrant. Add beet greens and saute until wilted about 2 minutes. Add pasta, cheese, and a few splashes of pasta water. Stir everything continuously so the cheese melts and creates a creamy sauce. Add more water as needed. Add hazelnuts and serve.



Pin It

1 comment:

  1. This sounds just perfect. My market sells beets with or without the greens and I always opt for with...just so I can have that moment where I "have to use them up." This looks far more inventive than my usual douse them in vinegar, salt and butter scenario. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails