Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Ground Cherry Hot Sauce


One day while drooling over beautiful photos on the Food in Jars flickr pool I stumbled upon a recipe for Ground Cherry Hot Sauce.
I don't know why it's never occurred to me before to make my own hot sauce. This feels like a revelation!

So far I've only eaten this on fish cakes and quinoa patties but it was so good! I think it's going to have so many wonderful uses, that I'll definitely be looking for more ground cherries again at the market this weekend.


1 1/3 pound ground cherries
2 cups white vinegar
2 - 4 hot peppers (you can really add more or less depending on how hot you want it)
1/4 cup honey or light brown sugar
salt to taste

Remove husks from ground cherries and chop hot peppers. Add cherries and peppers to a large pot with vinegar. Bring to a boil and cook until cherries are very soft about 15-20 minutes. Using a hand/immersion blender puree sauce until smooth. Add sugar and salt and cook until desired thickness is achieved. 
Meanwhile heat a large canning pot full of water over high heat. Place jars in water and leave them there until you're ready to fill them. Place lids in a bowl and cover with boiling water.
Ladle hot sauce into hot jars leaving about 1/4" headspace. Wipe jar rims clean and place on lids and screw bands. Process in boiling water in canning pot for 30 minutes. Any jars that don't seal (lid isn't popped down) must be refrigerated. Label and store sealed jars in a dark cool place.
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Alexis! You have no idea how increasingly envious I'm becoming of all the things you manage to put in jars! I have little daydreams about what your pantry must look like... ha ha. This will be my first canning season and I don't even know where to start; there's just so much I want to try preserving. I've gotten a lot of great ideas from your blog, too, so thank you.

    I haven't made anything yet today, but tomorrow I plan to conquer cheese soufflé and brioche, both for the first time. It'll be a big night!

    Thanks also for the birthday wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have little daydreams about someday when we own a house I'll custom build(or rather...have someone else build) shallow shelves that fill an entire wall for all my preserves. Can't wait!
    I totally know the feeling of being a bit overwhelmed, I think I still feel like that each market day when I bring home so much fruit and can't decide where to start.
    Are you taking any of Renee's preserving classes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not, sadly. The budget is a little tight this fall! For now I'm going to glean everything I can from my mother (and everything she gleaned from hers!). I figure that's a good start. Would love to take more of Renee's classes, though. Hopefully in the next round!

    Absolutely love the jar-filled wall vision! Gorgeous! I have this same daydream for mine, only for all my books :) I hope it happens for you soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails