Clearly I'm a bit of a soup fan.
I've only been sharing my homemade world with you for about 2 months and here is my 7th soup! And that's not including all the ones that I've been too shy to show you...
Adapted from Epicurious
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 bison sausages chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chopped peeled carrots
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 10 cups (or more) low-salt chicken or vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup pearl barley
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
- 2/3 cup dried lentils
- 4 cups (packed) coarsely chopped Swiss chard (about 1/2 large bunch), both leaves and stalks
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
Heat oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, sausage, and carrots and cook until onions are beginning to brown, 10-15 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add cumin, stir to coat and cook for 30 seconds. Add stock and barley, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, partially covered for 25 minutes.
Add tomatoes and lentils and swiss chard stalks, cover and let cook for 30 minutes or until lentils are soft.
Add swiss chard leaves let cook for 5 minutes.
Add dill right before serving.