Friday, June 29, 2012

No Knead Bread

I fell out of my constant bread baking routine sometime last year. I was on a roll there for a good 6 months or so, making all our own fresh bread every few days. But then I'd miss a day of bread baking, my husband would buy a loaf from the store and before I knew it I'd completely fallen off the bread baking wagon.
From my experience the best way to get yourself back into a routine like that is to find a way to make it feel new and fresh, like with the help of a new recipe. 
I have literally been meaning to try this recipe for years. Apparently all I really needed to get my butt in gear was to have a friend make it first and show me just how easy and delicious it really is. 
And now it's your turn. Don't wait any longer to make this bread. It really is the easiest and most delicious bread and before you know it, you'll be baking a few loaves each week because you just can't get enough. 


The recipe can be found here at the NYtimes

A few things to mention about making this bread are: 
-You will need a dutch oven pot like the one pictured above (or something similar) with a lid.
-You will need to give this bread at least 12 hours to rise although I tend to let it go closer to 24.
-I have given up on using a kitchen towel for the last rise because it always ends up getting too messy. I heavily flour the same bowl I used for the first rise and cover with plastic wrap.
-I also find that I tend to need to bake my bread longer than the recipe states. I baked my last loaf for an extra 10 minutes (for 1:10 total bake time) and it still could have used more time.
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. This is just the post I needed to read! I've never even fully gotten ON the bread-making wagon to ever fall off of it, but I've always, always wanted on. Bread instills unreasonable fear in me, so I need recipes and tips (and kicks in the butt) like this to get me going. Thanks for sharing - your bread looks beautiful! Hope you're well, Alexis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this recipe, I have used it many times. Once I completely forgot about it and after a 48 hour rise (!!!) baked it anyway - it was awesome! Thanks for the inspiration, I have been relying on purchased loaves too much lately, too!

    xoxo
    Kristine

    ReplyDelete
  3. No-knead bread baked in a Dutch oven, is our favorite! It's the only way I can get the crust you find on bread in Italy.

    The problem is, . . . we eat it--and there are only two of us. . . .

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails