Monday, June 4, 2012

Asparagus Salad


Do you ever have those moments when you have an idea for a dish or meal that slowly evolves into merely a shell of it's former self? Well that happens to me sometimes, like when I wanted to make a spring Panzanella salad and wound up with this.
Baked croutons, asparagus, dill, bitter greens, and some green onions are dressed in olive oil, lemon juice, a little garlic and lots of shaved extra old gouda.
The end result really reminded me of the flavours of my favourite Kale Salad but with more texture and diversity. This one's a keeper for sure!


a bundle of asparagus (about 5 or 6 spears, woody ends removed)
bitter greens (I used arugula and a mystery bitter green from my garden*)
1 1/2-2 cups of croutons**
3 green onions
1-2 tablespoons fresh chopped dill
large handful of pumpkin seeds
1 clove of garlic
few tablespoons of olive oil
1 lemon, zest & juice
1/4 (or less) cup finely grated hard cheese (I used a very old sharp gouda)
salt to taste

Chop asparagus into bite size pieces and blanch until just bright green and plunge into an ice bath to stop cooking. Drain well in colander and then on a towel. Tear greens into pieces and toss in a large bowl with croutons, chopped green onions, dill, and pumpkin seeds. Grate garlic with a rasp over bowl and add asparagus, lemon zest and cheese. Toss well with tongs to combine. Add salt, olive oil and lemon juice and continue to toss well letting everything get fully coated. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary, and serve.


*Do you recognize that leafy green in the photo above? I'd love to know what I'm eating.
**I just sliced up some old stale bread, covered it in olive oil and a little salt and roasted it until golden.Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails