Thursday, December 8, 2011

Dark Chocolate and Hazelnut Scones with Orange Zest


Not since I discovered "Super Natural Everyday" have I been so excited about a cookbook. I've been patiently waiting for my turn to borrow "Ancient Grains for Modern Meals" by Maria Speck from the library, and today I finally got to pick it up.
Now I know a recipe like this might not be the best representation of a book of this nature but it was the first one I tried and they turned out to be some of the tastiest scones I've ever had so I felt I owed it to you all to share. I literally can't stop thinking about these scones (weird, no?) and even crave them for dessert.
And don't worry I'm sure I'll be sharing lots of delicious things made with farro, barley, quinoa, polenta and wheat berries with you soon enough.

Adapted from "Ancient Grains for Modern Meals" by Maria Speck

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (I didn't have any so used white flour instead)
1/4 cup white sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into chunks
1/3 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts
2 ounces chopped dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
3/4 cup cold heavy cream, plus a little more for tops of scones
1 egg
1 tablespoon fine orange zest (I just used the zest of 1 whole orange)
turbinado or white sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Mix flours, sugar, salt and baking powder together in a bowl. Add butter and using a pastry cutter, blend into a coarse meal. Add nuts and chocolate and mix well. Mix cream, egg and orange zest together. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour 3/4 of cream mixture into the well. Using a rubber spatula fold the dough without over mixing. Pour in the remaining cream and continue folding. Use your hands to bring the mixture gently together and turn a few times in the bowl.
Place dough on a lightly floured surface and cut in half. Shape each half into a 5" circle, and cut into 4 or 6 wedges. Place wedges on a parchment lined sheet and lightly brush with cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 16-18 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails