Sunday, September 12, 2010

Simple Patchwork Quilt






So here it is! My first ever quilt!



It's certainly not perfect, but I made it myself so I love it all the same.






I'm not quite sure where I got the idea to start quilting, but once I did I just couldn't get it out of my head. I searched the internet looking for guides, tips, and projects made for beginner quilters, anything to get me started. But everything I found still seemed way over my head.

I ended up using this patchwork quilt from Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts as a guide, and I'd recommend it to anyone else interested in making a quilt for the first time. I think it was a great way to get introduced into the intimidating world of quilting.  
The quilt is beyond simple, but gives you a good sense of how a quilt is put together. 


I used old sheets I bought at Value Village to create the patchwork and backing, which is not only a cheap and beautiful source of fabric, but also a great way to reduce, reuse, and recycle.







I really love its pale, summery, slightly quirky, but cozy feel. It's probably about the size of a double bed, which will hopefully be the perfect size for my hubby and I to curl up under on the couch together. I also think it's going to make a wonderful picnic or beach blanket.





Pin It

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails