Friday, August 3, 2012

Zucchini Chocolate Muffins


Zucchini season has hit my backyard and I couldn't be happier. I think in the last two weeks I've harvested 7 big beautiful zucchinis. Not a bad start eh? Most of them I have been diced and frozen but I've also made a batch of one of our guilty summer pleasures: Zucchini Fritters with Whipped Feta and how could I resist the allure of chocolate zucchini muffins? I was really looking for a recipe that was slightly healthier...but still quite chocolatey. It was truthfully hard to find but I think this was pretty much what I was looking for.



Adapted from Allrecipes
3 eggs
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups grated zucchini
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease muffin tin or line with papers.

Beat eggs in a large bowl with sugars and oils. Add cocoa, vanilla and zucchini, mix well. In another bowl mix flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices then add to wet ingredients and mix well. Toss in walnuts and chocolate chips. Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full and top with a few more chopped walnuts. Bake for 20-25 minutes (mine took closer to 30 minutes). Let cool on wire rack.Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails