Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Orange Cornmeal Shortbread Cookies

I think we all know by now that I am not the kind of baker who needs an occasion to whip up some sweets. I think it's safe to say I believe that having a little tin of some sort of cookie lying around is almost a necessary part of making my house feel like a home. What's better than homemade cookies to offer to friends who pop by for a visit? Or when you need a quick snack before or after dinner. I actually think having cookies around keeps me from over eating sweets because otherwise I'd probably go out and buy a tub of ice cream and eat almost the whole thing in one sitting. See? Having a constant supply of sweets around is a good thing for some.

These little gems really hit the spot for craving a snack that wasn't too sweet and the cornmeal added a nice welcome change in texture.



Adapted from Martha Stewart Living Cookbook: The New Classics

1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup confectioners sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons orange zest
2 cups flour
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornmeal
1 teaspoon salt

Beat butter and sugar together until creamy and smooth. Add vanilla and zest and beat well. Mix in flour, 2 tablespoons of cornmeal and salt until well combined. Form dough into two logs about 1 1/2 inches in diameter, wrap in plastic and chill for at least an hour.
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Place remaining cornmeal on counter top. Remove logs of dough from plastic and roll in cornmeal to coat (I found this a little difficult). Slice dough into 1/4 inch rounds and place on baking sheet 1 inch apart. Bake until pale golden in color, about 25-30 minutes. Cool on wire rack.Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails